OLD: Status Effects

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.

If Status Effects are NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
No votes
I will cry
10%
I'll grumble a bunch
29%
I'll be ok
57%
I would never use status effects anyway
5%

Total votes: 21

Omnidon
Site Admin

OLD: Status Effects

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.3f
  • What are Status Effects?
    The idea of a status effect is to provide a visual indication of the character's current status, beyond normal labels and health halos.

UPDATE: In recent versions of BRPG, you can assign multiple graphics (poses) to figures, allowing you to switch to a status effect pose manually if you wish. Still, this method is tedious when using large numbers of units.

It would be better to have some automation and dynamic functionality for status effects.
  • Filters
    A basic way to display status effects would be the use of filters on the unit graphic dependent on which status is chosen. For example, the unit could turn green when poisoned.
  • Overlays
    Another way to show a status effect is to add an overlay image when the status changes.
    For example, a skull & crossbones graphic could be placed over a figure once it is dead.
  • Using Flash Integration
    If BRPG could communicate with Flash applications, as described in my Flash Integration post, then Flash could display the appropriate status effects at the appropriate times, among other things.

This would be the far simplest and most powerful way to go about adding this feature.
Last edited by Omnidon on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:59 pm

Been discussing this with Heruca too ... It would add an incredible functionality that I haven't seen anywhere else yet :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:39 pm

I am definitely going to add the ability to toggle among various unit pics, so you can make the dead pic be one of your options.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:53 pm

While 'poisoned' and 'injured' statuses don't excite me (too much information at a glance, I think), the possibility of prone, unconscious/dead, petrified etc. versions of the figures is kind of neat...
Balesir

Jester
Soldier

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:52 pm

Cute idea whose time can wait. ;)
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E/2E Role-Playing (On-line)