OLD: Drawing & Marker Tools

A holding area for obsolete posts that we don't wish to delete altogether.

If drawing tools are NOT added...

I will not use BRPG
9%
I will rarely use BRPG
No votes
I will cry
18%
I'll grumble a bunch
36%
I'll be ok
36%
I would never use drawing tools anyway
No votes

Total votes: 11

Omnidon
Site Admin

OLD: Drawing & Marker Tools

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:08 am

NOTE: All BRPG versions 1.1 and above now have basic drawing tools

Relevant to BRPG version: 1.08

It is among the most frequently-requested features and is high on the developer's to-do list.
  • Doodles
    With basic drawing tools, you should be able to easily draw arrows and diagrams right on the map.
  • Shapes
    There should be shape-creation tools (circles, rectangles, etc), so custom patterns, tiles, and AoE overlays can be created on the fly.
  • Textures
    It should be possible to draw textures directly onto the map. This combined with doodles and shapes allows the GM to extensively customize the map on the fly.
  • Text
    It would be nice to have a text-placement tool to create label objects, especially if they can be edited at any time.
  • Color Selector
    For drawing without textures, there would need to be a way to select from many basic colors.
  • Eyedropper
    It's important to be able to choose from existing colors too.
  • Marquee / Lasso
    If an existing portion of the map could be grabbed and turned into a custom texture or object on the fly... Probably too advanced ;-)
  • Graphics from Clipboard
    Similarly, it would be nice to be able to paste a graphic copied from another application as a unit or texture in BRPG.
  • Graphics from Scan
    heruca once mentioned this feature:
    heruca wrote:Scan directly into BRPG: one-click TWAIN-compliant scanning and importing of a graphic
    (presumably to allow you to quickly freehand draw a map on a sheet of paper and quickly convert that into a BRPG map.
  • Eraser
    It's important to be able to selectively erase portions of what has been drawn, rather than having to delete and redo the entire thing.
  • Pointer Tool
    Allow the GM (and maybe the players) to zap the map (plays a sound and shows a short animation) to draw attention to a location.
    The purpose of this would be for quick pointing, so it would have to be somehow tied to a mouse-click.

NOTE: In the meantime, there are now flag objects available that can be used as makeshift pointers.
  • Laser Pointer
    A more advanced version of the pointer tool; Allow the GM to show his mouse movements to the players when in use.
    Possibly toggled on/off or activated by a modifier key.
  • Marker Tool
    Although flag objects are now available, the ability to place a marker on the fly would be nice.

I noticed this feature in the map in a tactical shooter.
    In the game, you would doubleclick on the map and it would place the marker. You could use the arrow keys to scroll through a variety of different marker styles. A text box would appear next to the marker so you could add a text label to it.

In BRPG, this would probably work better if it was deployed from the doubleclick context menu. The marker style would be selected from a submenu.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:01 am

Yes, yes, all of it ... please (with suger on top :P )

Alarian
Cannon Fodder

Post by Alarian » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:31 pm

I would just like to say that this area is the only reason our group is not going to purchase this right now. We all think it's important to be able to easily reveal the map as the group progresses. For outdoor maps, this isn't a problem and the current FOW would work fine. But for underground areas the fact that you can't hide and reveal areas easily that the group has yet to discover was reason enough that we are going to wait on our purchase. That said, this program is soooo close to being what we need that the moment this gets implemented, we will be purchasing this.

Alarian.

Jester
Soldier

Post by Jester » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:42 pm

My two biggest needs in this space are:
:arrow: Quick and dirty drawing tools for drawing a circle around the party's set up area, the approximate location that something happens, etc.
:arrow: A player-placeable "flag" (preferably more than one, of different colors) so that players can point out where they want a spell effect to happen or where they want their group to rally. It can be a quite literal flag if you like, as long as the players can place it.
Now Playing:
Role-Playing

Good v. Evil, GM, Custom Fantasy Setting (On-line)
Black Talons 05, Player, Heavy Gear 3E/2E Role-Playing (On-line)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:18 am

Agreed.
The pointer / flag tool idea is mentioned in Miscellaneous, though I suppose it could be seen as a drawing tool.

EDIT: Added to this list instead.
Last edited by Omnidon on Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gumbomasta
Cannon Fodder

glad this has been comiong along nicely

Post by gumbomasta » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:57 pm

good things come to those who wait. congrats on making such a solid system so far.

-g

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun May 20, 2007 7:22 pm

Poll reset here as well.
(FoW Masking / Unmasking Drawing Tools added)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:33 pm

With only one vote in this poll, it doesn't seem like drawing tools are very high on people's wish list. I'm now considering changing the focus of v1.1. Instead of adding drawing tools, perhaps updating the Unit Manager and Turn Sequencer to be table-based is more important. Measuring tools and Line-of-Sight-checking tools would still be included in v1.10.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:35 pm

For me, BRPG is primarily a tool for using maps in RPGs.
A second function is supporting playing RPGs.
The option of playing it online is nice, but less important.
Doing stuff with maps doesn't really come into it. I have map making progs, I have image editing progs; it is likely to be quicker for me to edit a map out of BRPG and then load it than to use BRPG for stuff on the map itself.

So, doodles are good. Shapes and textures don't matter. Text might be useful. Being able to erase the doodles would be important, as would chosing a color. Pointer/Laser pointer would be used. Marquee, graphics from scan or ckipboard aren't needed. Marker might be used, but there are plenty of ways of doing it already.

I'd prefer the doodle to updating Unit Manager and Turn Sequencer and for it to be used by all players.

oleingva
General

Post by oleingva » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:42 am

Yeah, I agree completely with what Dormouse said. Being able to make quick remarks either by doodling or text would be great, but the rest isn't really needed.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:19 pm

I mostly agree with Dormouse, too, but the ability to shade cells as a form of ad-hoc area of effect might be handy - as would general doodle tools on a separate layer.
Balesir

Helmet
Sergeant

Post by Helmet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:58 am

My first post!

Anyhow, I just bought the program, even though it does not have drawing tools and I would love drawing tools. I have a wacom tablet, and I want to draw all over the map... such as blood splatters, footprints, cryptic runes on the floor, a big black stain where the fighter was vaporized, etc. I draw all over my real maps with dry-erase markers, and I want to do the same with my virtual maps.

I even want to draw the whole dungeon, bit by bit, as the PCs explore.

I bought the program because it appeared exceptionally good and was being improved-upon frequently with updates. (And because it works with Mac.)

I hope drawing tools will appear in the future. I want to freehand sketch in several different colors, with several different brush sizes, and erase.

Also, I would like my players to sketch on the map, too. For example, it would be cool if a player could draw a small red X on the map and say, "I throw a rock there," and I would know where 'there' is.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 am

Actually, this summary is a bit outdated, since (as noted above) it is only relevant to v1.08

Basic drawing tools were added in v1.1

Try the latest beta, which is currently 1.1a with the 1.1b patch
index.php?f=3

I will update this summary soon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:45 am

Welcome, Helmet.

Some drawing support was added in the last few months, as Omnidon said, but it may not be what you think. The drawing tools shown in the pic below allow you to draw basic shapes, which can then be moved around, resized, rotated, etc.

Eventually, this will be expanded upon to allow drawing with not just flat colors, but textures, too. And there will be an actual drawing layer for those who don't need the drawings to be independent objects. I'll have to do a little research to see if support for drawing tablets (i.e., pressure-sensitivity) can be added.

Things like blood splatters, footprints, and runes might best be depicted using PNG graphics, like these:

Blood splatters
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=237

Runes
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... p?TID=4976
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... p?TID=4969

Footprints
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... p?TID=9157
http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=803
Attachments
Drawing Tools.jpg
Drawing Tools.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Helmet
Sergeant

Post by Helmet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Thanks for the fast reply, Omnidon. I just downloaded v1.08a yesterday and am still experimenting with it. In general, I avoid beta versions.

But since v1.1 has drawing tools, I might have to try it, though I am wary of using a newer beta version when I'm just beginning to learn the software.

Helmet
Sergeant

Post by Helmet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:14 pm

Nice PNGs! But I would still like to draw other stuff for which there is no PNGs.

That's exciting news that there will later be an independent layer for drawing!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:25 pm

With luck, v1.1b will soon be out of beta status and will replace v1.0.8a as the "official" version.

As for exploring the software and learning its features, it's probably not a bad idea to start with v1.0.8a and then step up to v1.1b when you feel ready. You can skip all the intermediate releases, though.

Helmet
Sergeant

Post by Helmet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Okay, curiosity got the best of me and I downloaded the v1.1b beta to see the drawing tools. So far, the drawing tools seem pretty nifty. Woohoo!

I noticed something surprising, though. When I'm drawing and I complete a line or a shape, the drawing tool turns off and I have to go back and click it again to keep drawing. Is there a reason for this?

I'm thinking it would be nice if the tool would stay "on" until I am done with the tool.

Also, when my license key arrives, will I be able to use it to unlock both v.1.08a and also v1.1b? Or do I have to pick which one I plan to use from then on? It would be nice to use both the stable and beta for a while.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:59 pm

There's a way to do that, but it's only documented in the ReadMe file, until I get around to updating the User Manual.
Quote from the ReadMe file wrote:Control-clicking on a tool in the Draw Tools palette will keep that tool selected after it is used ("sticky tool" mode). If a tool isn't control-clicked, it will automatically deselect itself after each operation.
Your license key will work for all v1.x installations, whether they are official releases or beta releases. You can keep both installed and it won't cause any problems.

Note, however, that some Preference settings are shared, so if, for example, you turn on hexgrid mode as the default grid type while using a beta version, hexgrid mode will also be the default the next time you launch the non-beta version.

Helmet
Sergeant

Post by Helmet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Sticky-tool! Great! And I'm happy to hear I can unlock bother versions.
Thanks! :)

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Good thing to have the drawing tools.

But... using my drawing pen in BG RPG, they seemingly aren't pressure sensitive, like OpenRPG drawing tool.

The pressure sensitive feature is useful IMO, while drawing something.
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:06 pm

Sorry, there appears to be no support for pressure-sensitive drawing tablets available for Director, and hence, BRPG. :(

I've looked many times for such an Xtra (a Director plug-in), and have been unable to find one. I'm now hoping that Director 11 might even have that built-in.

demonsbane
Captain

Post by demonsbane » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:13 pm

This is a feature request too for Director 11, then. :P
"We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
M.C. Escher

"Let's face it: for some people, roleplaying is a serious challenge, a life-or-death struggle."
J. M. Caparula / Scott Haring

nijineko
Soldier

Post by nijineko » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:54 am

to be honest, i am an artist. the more comprehensive the drawing tool set, the more inclined i would be towards battlegrounds.