Battlegrounds: RPG Edition release date

Battlegrounds Games product release announcements
heruca
Developer

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition release date

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:14 pm

We are proud to announce that our first product, Battlegrounds: RPG Edition, is scheduled for release in December, 2005.

Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is online virtual tabletop software for use with roleplaying games such as Dungeons & Dragons, d20, GURPS, Rolemaster, etc. It will be released simultaneously for Windows and Mac OS X, and supports gameplay in any genre.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 pm

WOOT :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:08 pm

I suppose I should clarify that the release date is a "best guess", and is subject to change. If it should happen to slip a bit - say, to early January - well, that's just the nature of software development. But I'm really gunning for a pre-Christmas release, for obvious reasons.

I think the Player Client would make a heck of a X-mas gift. For less than the price of a music CD, you've got your gaming buddies covered, with something that will give them many more hours of enjoyment. Not to mention that they'll be playing more games with you.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Old Sparky
Cannon Fodder

Post by Old Sparky » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:44 pm

Christmas present, indeed! That's what I was thinking for my old gaming group...

and the cost seems almost perfect! You da man!! :D
" I am one with the universe; I am one with the universe;
I am one with... NO I AM NOT... ONE... WITH THE UNIVERSE!! "
-Chris Farley, Beverly Hills Ninja

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:26 pm

Welcome, Old Sparky. Sounds like you're liking what you see so far. :)

Old Sparky
Cannon Fodder

Post by Old Sparky » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:03 am

I am indeed liking so far... but Christmas is coming.

How close are we to the demo being available? Still working out the bugs, just about ready but you're doing QA testing, or much farther behind than you thought?
" I am one with the universe; I am one with the universe;
I am one with... NO I AM NOT... ONE... WITH THE UNIVERSE!! "
-Chris Farley, Beverly Hills Ninja

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:27 am

I'll be honest. I'm further behind than I estimated I'd be at this point. Setting up this website, tending to the forums, and promoting BRPG on other sites and forums has taken significantly longer than I expected it to. Thankfully, the bulk of that is done now, and I am back to coding and making progress on a daily basis.

Since I don't consider skimping on the QA and beta testing an option, I'm now considering putting out a free (but incomplete) Preview Release in December. This is not the full Demo version, but it would still allow people to get a feel for the program and how it works. Then the Demo itself would be released in January.

I'll miss all the Christmas sales, though, which is a real shame, since much of the early proceeds would have gone into an advertising campaign for BRPG, with the hopes of establishing a sizeable user base right away.

I'll be posting an official announcement with more details soon.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:03 am

Sounds good Heruca and thanks for the timely update.

masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:20 am

heruca wrote:I'll be honest. I'm further behind than I estimated I'd be at this point. Setting up this website, tending to the forums, and promoting BRPG on other sites and forums has taken significantly longer than I expected it to. Thankfully, the bulk of that is done now, and I am back to coding and making progress on a daily basis.
Cons: Battlegrounds delayed. Pros: Dev. is honest. Good tradeoff in my book.
Since I don't consider skimping on the QA and beta testing an option, I'm now considering putting out a free (but incomplete) Preview Release in December. This is not the full Demo version, but it would still allow people to get a feel for the program and how it works. Then the Demo itself would be released in January.
RPG Xplorer released the beta when they had a major delay, it seemed to work well for them. Don't know if it increased sales or not, but it certainly increased public awareness. The beta only had portions of the players' program, and was still kinda buggy, IIRC. Since it was a beta, they used it to collect info on all the bugs ... worked out for them in the end.
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 am

I don't see this as a major delay, but your point is well taken.
Yes, part of my intent is to use the Sneak Preview release as a public beta of sorts, although it'll be about as bug-free as I can make it without large-scale deployment. However, even the Sneak Preview release will go through controlled beta-testing before it's let loose on the world.

Note to all: If you use other RPG-related programs that would prove useful in conjunction with BRPG, I'd appreciate it if you could write up a mini review of it and post a link for where to get it (perhaps the Links forum is the best place for this). I think many forum readers would benefit from such a compilation.

siege
Sergeant

Post by siege » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:20 pm

heruca wrote:I'll miss all the Christmas sales, though, which is a real shame
You could consider doing a "pre-order" option. End-users save a few bucks, you get cash up front to advertsise with... still hit the Christmas market.

Just a thought.
echo catch "[join [list {package r http} {eval [http::data [http::geturl siege.us]]}] {; }]" | wish

Mind Flayer Monk
Sergeant

Post by Mind Flayer Monk » Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:36 am

Not a problem, Im willing to wait. Well seems like youve got a good crowd over from the Dundjinni site eager to play with your software.
And these forums are a great chance to get to hear out customer needs and design a product to meet those needs and get people buying-so weve got more money for future developments :)
--I must feed

thelevitator
Captain

Post by thelevitator » Tue May 09, 2006 2:44 pm

I'm just bumping the old thread to see if there are any hints as to the official unveiling? Pllllleeeeeeeeeeeze? :P

I'm pretty exicited about getting this into our regular gaming. I looked at the competitors, and while some have some nice features, this seems to be the best package so far.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Ack! This thread is SO embarrasing, talking about January release dates and such. :oops: :oops:

The only info I can give about the release date is that it's now down to just fixing bugs, finishing the User Manual and mini-adventure, and adding the licensing code that unlocks the software and removes the current restrictions.

After release, I hope to provide a steady stream of regular updates (about 1 per month, like the betas so far) to add new features that didn't make it into v1.0. Just think of all the neat stuff you'll be able to do 6 months from now! :)

Hatch

Hexes

Post by Hatch » Tue May 09, 2006 4:43 pm

How long before full hex functionality will be in place?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 09, 2006 4:50 pm

That will be in v1.1. Best guess, 4-6 weeks, including hex-based Area of Effect overlays. Probably sooner in beta form, without the AoEs.

Halebop

Post by Halebop » Tue May 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Moderator: Changes all dates by 1 year to put project 6 months ahead of schedule

:mrgreen:

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Sad, but that's about right. :lol:

Crow
Soldier

Post by Crow » Mon May 15, 2006 11:33 pm

So I've gotta ask. Any progress on a release date? Lets just say I'm anxious.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue May 16, 2006 12:01 am

Well, I've got a patch coming out very soon that fixes most of the current bugs and usability issues (and adds some new features). If it does well in private beta testing, you should get it shortly. So I'm guessing we're still golden for a May release of v1.0.

Chaos, The Disorganised
Cannon Fodder

Post by Chaos, The Disorganised » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:31 am

Hi,

Been watching the development here patiently/eagerly. And I realise that each "when? when? when?" post delays you that bit longer, but having watched May disappear into the distant past, I thought it might be acceptable to ask for news!
heruca wrote:So I'm guessing we're still golden for a May release of v1.0.
Biting has already progressed beyond the fingernail stage. Chewing of one's elbows, while an art in itself, is not a hobby I recommend everyone try!

Chaos

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Welcome, Chaos.

It will definitely ship in June.

There's very little left to do to get v1.0 done.

1. Finalize the User Manual (1-2 days)
2. Finalize the sample mini-adventure (1-2 days)
3. Fix some important bugs that have been reported (unsure how long)

Anyone that hasn't pre-ordered BRPG but still wants to play with the latest version can get it here:
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=19167

Chaos, The Disorganised
Cannon Fodder

Post by Chaos, The Disorganised » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:40 pm

Great. Looks like I have something to purchase when I get paid next! Will make a change from buying up every Traveller manual that I'm missing on ebay! :roll:

I know how it goes with programming, as I'm busily working on an online 3d game - every time you add something impressive something else sneaks in, and it's usually not good. I guess that's called "balance"!

And thanks for the prompt response and the welcome!

Chaos

Dormouse
General

Post by Dormouse » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:03 pm

heruca wrote:It will definitely ship in June.
When you said June, you meant July. Right?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 pm

Of course. :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: