Animations

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Omnidon
Site Admin

Animations

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:53 pm

--Split from Flash Integration by Omni--
lupha wrote:Or animated water! and waving trees :D <drool>
It is possible to to this without Flash.

PNGs are already supported by BRPG and they can be animated. Any basic flash animation can be converted into a PNG.

Flash could do a better job at animations if used properly, but animation is only a small part of Flash's potential.

I updated the list to reflect this.

If anyone would like to discuss animations or Flash, you are welcome to PM me or find me on IMs.
Last edited by Omnidon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:36 pm

the ability to animate objects on the map using flash or otherwise would be such a time sink for me, heh. I have a tendancy to bite off more than I can chew, so Ill have to avoid animating too much :)

Omnidon you mentioned being able to do animations without flash , are there tutorials that you know of to enlighten the populace?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:26 pm

For now, PNG-based animations have to be created by me and embedded into the program. The "Campfire, Lit" object is one such example.

Perhaps someday I can open this feature up to the users, but that's a long way off. Certainly not in v1.x.

However, if users come up with some nice PNG animation frames, they can send them to me and I might build them into the app. But it would need to be something that's useful to anyone, not just for your game.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 pm

How (Ie what program) would I do such animation using PNG and not flash?

I would gladly work on basic objects: torches, trees etc etc... and submit them I just dont know where to start.

ever since I got my hands on flash animation a couple years back Ive loved tinkering with animation.

*edit*

I just reveiwed a previous post about flash animation being converted to PNG... if this is the prefered method I apologize :oops: should have saw that the first time.
Last edited by Fenthen on Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:03 pm

Any app that can make PNGs, like Photoshop, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, etc.

Something like After Effects would be useful for laying out the animation sequentially and testing it. And I think Photoshop has such frame-based features, for making animated banners.

Frame rates should be kept to 12 images per second.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:07 pm

Thanks Heruca!

problem solved, heh, I work with Photoshop all day (in a limited manner).
I'll play around with that and see what I can do.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:04 pm

Yup photoshop does a very simple job of animations. I use it all the time for avatars and similar simple animations. I am not very good at it, but if I can do, I am sure anyone with some experience will do wonders.

Just an FYI, if you have poser, the output can be sent as raw images, which then can be photoshoped into animated .gif or .png so you could created combat anitmations of poser characters of monsters.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:13 pm

Poser would be ideal for character animations. I wish I knew how to use it.

But I think that the best animations to use in BRPG would be for elements of the map, or spell effects, rather than figures.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:45 am

heruca wrote:But I think that the best animations to use in BRPG would be for elements of the map, or spell effects, rather than figures.
Yep I agree there.

My players are all console RPG fans though so I will probably use oldschool video game style sprites with various animated poses.

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:43 am

At this point im speculating till I can get some free time to play with, but the spell effects could be most amusing to play with. as far as animating the living (or undead take your pick)tokens for battles, it would be cool , but too much work :wink:

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:44 am

Yeah the nice thing about video games sprites is that there are tons already animated you can download off the net.

They're just not as high-res as most figures, but my players won't mind that as long as they get high-res portraits.

Jixxala
Captain

Post by Jixxala » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:45 am

heruca wrote:Poser would be ideal for character animations. I wish I knew how to use it.

But I think that the best animations to use in BRPG would be for elements of the map, or spell effects, rather than figures.
Yup I agree too. They would not really be hard to make, in fact from my experience it would be easier than custom sprites or other animations for characters ... but I don't like animated characters :P

I may play around with a shooting archer or something, but I think it clutters the map a bit to have too much animation. I don't need to see the characters walking when they are moved, or swinging a sword when they attack. I would much rather see a candle light flicker.

Poser can also do setting though, I have some very nice sci-fi interior settings done up for a comic I never put out. In these some things could look good animated, like a moving security camera, or animated doors. Or even an animated computer screen. (which I would drop on top of non-poser map) All these things can be background elements that add to the scene instead of taking away from it as I feel animated characters do.
Jixxala
Developer of PGS (Pegasus Gaming System)
Current state - Alpha
Beta starts October.
www.Pegasus-Foundation.com

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 am

is it possible using one of the many programs mentions to potentially animate light being cast from an obect? light torch light fluctuating or light from a monitor in a Sci-fi setting changing colors abit as it looped through its animation.

kilgar
Sergeant

Post by kilgar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:03 pm

heruca wrote:But I think that the best animations to use in BRPG would be for elements of the map, or spell effects, rather than figures.
I agree also.

Animating map elements to give players a good feel for what the environment is like, would be much preferred to animating characters/monsters.
Never tell a DM "I'm Bored!"

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:50 pm

Hmm, now I think about this, though, I can see some mileage in spellcasters moving about and chanting or figures swinging weapons simply as a means of indicating a specific action. Better than saying 'this guy is casting a spell' OOC.
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm glad to hear that most if not all of you feel the same way about map animation vs character animation. I like the examples Jixxala mentioned.
Fenthen wrote:is it possible using one of the many programs mentions to potentially animate light being cast from an obect? light torch light fluctuating or light from a monitor in a Sci-fi setting changing colors abit as it looped through its animation.
Certainly. That could be handled the same way the firelight from the campfire was handled in the sample encounter provided with RC1. You saw that, right?

Fenthen
Sergeant

Post by Fenthen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 pm

yes I did see that but I forgot about the lighting, thank you.

Ill see if I can recreate that with other objects successfully.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:54 pm

For clarification, an animation is just a series of "frames".

Each frame can contain one or more pictures. You animate something by changing the contents of each frame. The more frames, the longer the animation.

Thus any effects such as shadow, glow, etc that can be used in a still image can be used in an animation.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 pm

I've redone the Light Glow animation in such a way that it doesn't spill light onto black portions of the screen. It works much better now with the modular dungeon approach.