Unit selection and movement on a hex grid with snap on

micedwards
Soldier

Unit selection and movement on a hex grid with snap on

Post by micedwards » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:53 am

In RC2 and RC2a I have had problems with selecting units on a hex grid with snap to grid on. If I click on the unit with the mouse it jumps two rows down. Sometimes on click release it will jump back up but across one hex. Really wierd. And dragging the unit is a waste of time as it jumps all around up to two or three hexes away from the mouse!

mice

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Man, I thought I had that issue licked.

Are you sure you didn't use the Maximize button on the map window? Try manually sizing the map window to fill your screen.

Is this happening with standard 1-cell tokens, or is base size irrelevant? Does it happen with both figures and objects?

If you have a unit graphic that protrudes from it's center cell, make sure you grab it from the center cell, and not from a protruding bit. And make sure you give it a chance to snap into place upon releasing the drag before whisking the mouse cursor away.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

micedwards
Soldier

Post by micedwards » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:11 pm

I've tried with map maximised, map stretched to the limits of the screen, map smaller than the screen, map stretched across both monitors. Same thing happens.

Tried objects and mulitbase figures. Same thing happens.

I usually click the centre of the hex or the body of the figure closest to the centre. Occasionally it behaves but I can't see any pattern in why!

Basically it is consistant. Probably doesn't help...

Ah, interesting. This may be a seperate bug... I just switched off snap to grid to confirm that works and selecting and moving is all nice and smooth although I can not move any object right futher than 2/3rd of my screen or lower than a certain point. In fact it is behaving as if the window is open on my smaller other monitor.

My display settings are:
Monitor 1 is a 1280x1024 screen acting as the secondary monitor on the right.
Monitor 2 is a 1920x1200 screen acting as the primary monitor on the left.
They are lined up at the top.

Windoze recogised the smaller monitor first so it identifies as One and the larger screen as Two.

Although snap is jerky it has full movement, snap off has the movement constraints incuding jumping a figure back into the smaller area if you click on it while its outside those bounds.

mice

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Thanks for the detailed report. Looks like a may be forced to add multi-monitor support to fix this.

If you were to remove one of your two displays, I suspect everything would work a lot better. But that's not exactly a viable workaround. I'll see what I can do.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

micedwards
Soldier

Post by micedwards » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:41 pm

Like I said in another post (which you probably haven't seen yet) I suspect the problem could be the fact that my primary monitor isn't the one that Win XP recognises as Monitor 1. I have them switched.

I disabled Moniter 1 (the secondary) and restarted BRPG but no difference. When I'm not doing so much other stuff in background I'll try disconnecting and rebooting.

mice

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 pm

If this is the old bug where mouse-dragging causes the unit to snap to the grid away from where you meant to place it, then yes I can still get this in RC2a if I don't grab the unit right in the center of the base and drop it right in the center of the cell.

micedwards
Soldier

Post by micedwards » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 pm

This occurs even when i click dead centre. On clicking the figure jumps and the dragging trail defies description. ^_^;

mice

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Well then I guess I'll move this to customer support, since it seems to be caused by the lack of Dual-Monitor support instead of an actual bug.

--Moved--

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:45 am

Is this still an issue for anyone, since v1.0.9 came out?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Not happening to me on my new dual monitor setup, though I didn't have dual monitors when I tested it the first time so I can't compare.

The unit still jumps a couple cells if I don't click on it dead center of course.