BRPG crashing regularly [RESOLVED]

mcrush
Cannon Fodder

BRPG crashing regularly [RESOLVED]

Post by mcrush » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:00 pm

Greetings and congratuations on the formal release of v1.0. Unfortunately, I seem to be having some problems with it.

I downloaded the demo within hours after the fix upload, so I'm pretty sure I have the latest code. Prior to this I ran RC 2a and had no problems on my main system in the home office (P4 2.8GHz 1GB DDR400 Win2K Pro), but due to a knee injury I've been pretty well confined to a recliner the last few days and to the system accessable in the living room (AMD 64 3500 512MB DDR400 Win XP Pro) which also serves as my HTPC. However now, every time I run BRPG v1.0 , it crashes within a few minutes with a Macromedia Projector error - doesn't seem to matter what I try to do. I've managed to build an Encounter file by saving after every action, but at some point it crashes. I've been able to load a map I created (40x40 cell 106K JPEG file) and add some masking objects, and play with FoW a bit, but I can't even get more than 10 minutes of work done before it crashes.

Doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem, so I'm guessing I have something unique in my HW or SW config that is causing this. Any ideas?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:15 am

That IS odd. Unless we get a several more reports like this, I'd say your guess is correct. One thing that might be worth trying is re-downloading the zip and starting over in a new directory (perhaps you were having a read-write permissions-related issue?).

If you have access to another computer, try it there. If it runs more stable, then you can rest assured that it's a configuration or compatability issue with your 1st PC, and we can try to troubleshoot it. It might even be third-party software interfering.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mcrush
Cannon Fodder

Re: BRPG v1.0 crashing regularly

Post by mcrush » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:06 am

Ok, I installed BPRG v1 on my P4 system using the same zip file and got the same kind of results. The Microsoft crash notices in XP only let me see but not copy out the error report data (which has the BPRG application name included), but it did ID 4 seperate threads and at least 11 modules (most of which looked to be MS, not BPRG dll files), and it did id the basic application as Macromedia Projector (unfortunately the Win2K error window was not as helpful). Seems to take an awful lot of CPU cycles to make changes to cell visibility under FoW with only a single light source on a 40x40 map (100% for seconds to respond to cell selections), but CPU idles when not taking actions, so it doesn't sound like the issue you were having before.

I'll try downloading again and see if that fixes things. I like what you've done here and I'm look forward to getting it working properly.

One other thing I noticed: on the AMD/XP system, the map was offset about half a cell, both horizontally and vertically, but on the P4/Win2K system it was aligned properly the first time I ran BPRG, then it was offset by a couple of pixels more every time I restarted the app. Related? Don't spend a lot of thought or time on this until I can start again with a fresh download (since this is a demo with no license - yet - I'll just delete the old BPRG folder trees and start fresh) and I'll let you know what happens with that. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

Thanks for responding so soon to my apparently unique problem and for the reload suggestion.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:30 am

How's the knee doing?

I wanted to comment about part of your first post. Yes, the cell-based masking tools are currently pretty slow on a 40 x 40 map. A future update will optimize the code to run faster. Try using the Map Settings panel to reduce the map to, say, 16 x 16, then play around with the cell masking tools. You should notice that it's much more responsive. I intend to get the larger maps working that fast or faster, eventually.

Regarding your map-shifting problem, I've never seen that. But try this the next time it happens and let me know if it helps:
Drag the edge of the map window to resize it, even just by a few pixels. That should force a redraw, and it will also overwrite your userprefs file, either of which may fix the issue.

If you used the maximize button to make your map window fill the screen, and the above step fixes your problem, this may have been the culprit. Avoid the maximize button for now.

Please post your results, as they will help me diagnose the issue and find a fix.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mcrush
Cannon Fodder

Re: BRPG v1.0 crashing regularly

Post by mcrush » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:13 pm

The knee is much better, thanks for asking. Unfortunately, that means I've been busy doing a bunch of the things around the house that I couldn't get done for awhile (leaving very little time to experiment with BRPG). But, I did redo the download and that seems to pretty much fix the instability problem and the grid offset problem (but haven't had much chance to really exercise it). Very strange that a zip file would get corrupted like that and still unpack. Oh well.

Just got the v1.01 patch notice and am downloading as I write this. Hopefully I'll get to play around with it soon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:57 pm

I'm glad that problem is resolved, because I had no idea how to go about troubleshooting that. :lol:

I figure either the zip got corrupted, or you might've once gotten a crash right at the moment when v1.0 was writing a prefs file, which left the file with bad read-write permissions, and consequently caused crashes whenever it tried to access the prefs file.