Auto-Save

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
heruca
Developer

Auto-Save

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:51 am

-- Split from Flash Integration by Omni --
Full Bleed wrote:
Omnidon wrote: Imagine an extension that automatically saves your game every few minutes.
An auto game save/backup feature is something that I believe is *essential* for the program, regardless. With many encounters taking hours to complete, I just can not stomach the idea that the program might crash at any time. A crash during an epic or particularly satisfying encounter would be very discouraging.
I am planning to add an autosave feature (no flash extension required), and I think this was discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Eventually, it would also be cool to be able to play back your game turn by turn, or even move by move, so you can see how a combat evolved. Might even be able to output it all as a slideshow, or a portion of the screen as a Quicktime movie. 8)

Until an autosave is implemented, I strongly encourage a manual game save at the start of every game turn, so you have something to fall back on in case of disaster. Encounter files are tiny.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:59 am

heruca wrote:I am planning to add an autosave feature (no flash extension required), and I think this was discussed elsewhere on the forum.
Yeah, I was planning to add it to one of the other suggestion threads. That's why it was on my mind.
heruca wrote:Eventually, it would also be cool to be able to play back your game turn by turn, or even move by move, so you can see how a combat evolved. Might even be able to output it all as a slideshow, or a portion of the screen as a Quicktime movie. 8)
Heheheh. If you don't end up adding that feature, I was going to put it in as a Flash extension anyway. ;-)
The simplest way to handle it would be to record every action and play them back in BRPG in sequence.

Screen capture for making movies would be a separate and less valuable feature in my opinion, since that can easily be done with 3rd party software.

Full Bleed
General

Re: Auto-Save

Post by Full Bleed » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:26 am

heruca wrote: Eventually, it would also be cool to be able to play back your game turn by turn, or even move by move, so you can see how a combat evolved. Might even be able to output it all as a slideshow, or a portion of the screen as a Quicktime movie. 8)
This would be sweet. It would be cool to see the battle go down in nearly "real time" after the fact. :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:47 pm

Please tell me how you all would like auto-save to work.

Some options:
1) Auto-saves whenever a new unit is placed or one is deleted.
2) Auto-saves every x minutes.
3) Auto-saves at the start of every turn in the Turn Sequencer (so the start of Turn 2 would be the first time it saves, which really doesn't help a GM who is just prepping an Encounter before the game session).
4) A combination of some or all of the above, perhaps customizable through Preferences (this would take longer to implement, of course).

I could have a single auto-save file, which will always be the top choice available when you go to the Load Encounter dialogue. Or, if it's preferred, I can keep one auto-save of each Encounter available (using the Encounter name as a prefix), or I can always save a new file with a time/date stamp appended to the filename, and never delete any old auto-save files. That would put the burden on you to clean house once in a while.

Another possibility would be to automatically delete the autosave file when quitting BRPG normally. Then I can have BRPG look for an autosave file every time it launches. If it finds one, then it must be because you crashed out (because the file never got deleted), and it could automatically load the autosave Encounter for you. That might present problems if an Encounter file were somehow corrupted, though.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Full Bleed
General

Post by Full Bleed » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:27 pm

heruca wrote:Please tell me how you all would like auto-save to work.

Some options:
1) Auto-saves whenever a new unit is placed or one is deleted.
2) Auto-saves every x minutes.
3) Auto-saves at the start of every turn in the Turn Sequencer (so the start of Turn 2 would be the first time it saves, which really doesn't help a GM who is just prepping an Encounter before the game session).
4) A combination of some or all of the above, perhaps customizable through Preferences (this would take longer to implement, of course).
A thoroughly customizeable autosave feature that would allow all of the above would be best.

But if I only had one, I'd like a customizeable timer based autosave that I could set to save every 5 minutes or something.

I'd probably have a second autosave set to go off every new turn as well if it was available.

I could have a single auto-save file, which will always be the top choice available when you go to the Load Encounter dialogue. Or, if it's preferred, I can keep one auto-save of each Encounter available (using the Encounter name as a prefix), or I can always save a new file with a time/date stamp appended to the filename, and never delete any old auto-save files. That would put the burden on you to clean house once in a while.
I think I'd like individualized encounter oriented saves with a time-date stamp. And it would be nice if we could set the number of max saves (lets say the default is 10.) After 10 saves it would just overwrite the oldest and only keep the newest 10. That way you'd have a variety of restart points if need be without having to worry about house-cleaning.

Another possibility would be to automatically delete the autosave file when quitting BRPG normally. Then I can have BRPG look for an autosave file every time it launches. If it finds one, then it must be because you crashed out (because the file never got deleted), and it could automatically load the autosave Encounter for you. That might present problems if an Encounter file were somehow corrupted, though.
I think it would be good if BRPG, on proper close did flag that it closed properly. And if you load into the program and it does not see the "proper close" flag then it would ask you if you wanted it to load the last autosave.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:00 pm

I'm always a fan of maximum customization.

For now, I prefer having it save every X minutes. I like Full Bleed's idea of being able to set a max number of autosaves, as long as entering zero would set it to infinite.

Eventually, it would be great if all those options were added. Additionally, as I will be mentioning in the Extension API summary, the save function should be accessible to flash extensions.

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Customisation via preferences is best, obviously :twisted:

It strikes me that there are two 'instances' to be set: the first is when to save (surprise...) and the other is when to save as a new filename. This would allow me to set a save every 2 minutes (or whatever) with the filename for autosave changed (and a n autosave triggered) each time a new turn starts.

If I may add one option that wasn't mentioned: whenever the turn sequencer is moved to a new figure. This would allow each character's turn to be saved as it is done, with filename changed each turn (see above) to allow a fallback of reloading the start of the turn in case of file corruption due to a crash, etc.

Just a 2d. worth...
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Save when stepping the Turn Sequence = good idea. Might want to append the active figure's name to the saved Encounter's filename, in such a case.

smatt1001
General

Post by smatt1001 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:00 pm

Heruca,

In the short term I'd have to agree with save every x minutes

Longer term I like the idea of saving on the turn stepping. Additionally it might be nice to have an option to treat all pieces owned by an individual player as one unit if at all possible. I don't really need saves for Orcs 1-10 individually. But that is a much longer term request
Well, if BRPG someday becomes a household name (at least among gamer households), smatt1001 will be able to boast that he was the first person in the world to buy a license.