How is sound-transfer handled by BG?

"How Do I...?"
SolSec
Soldier

How is sound-transfer handled by BG?

Post by SolSec » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 am

Hi, I have a simple question, or so I hope is a simple question.

If the GM (GM client, that is) wanted to send sounds to the Player-clients of Battlegrounds, how does it work?

OK, so the GM selects a sound file (let's say a short MP3) from his hard drive. OK, it's selected. Now what happens next? He clicks "SEND" and then the player-clients just begin to hear that sound as soon as their BG client has finished downloading it?

Is that how it works??

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 am

That's pretty much how it works, except that MP3 is not a supported format yet (just WAV and AIFF for now).

When the GM Sends a sound in the sound panel, he sends a message to every connected client to play that sound. If the sound is already present in a Player Client's media database (the "User Cast.cxt" file), it plays. If not, the Player Client automatically requests the sound file from the GM Client, and plays it as soon as it is done transferring over. That sound is then available for immediate playback if the GM uses it again.

On a LAN, this all happens pretty much instantly. On an internet connection, there may be some lag time involved, depending on everyone's connection speeds.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:42 am

Here's a tip. If you want to pre-send a long sound so that it's instantly available for playback later, send it first with a volume of 0.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

SolSec
Soldier

Post by SolSec » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:28 am

heruca wrote:Here's a tip. If you want to pre-send a long sound so that it's instantly available for playback later, send it first with a volume of 0.
Nice tip!

And one more question... I still was not clear on. When the GM sends the sound to the Player client, does the Player client *automatically* download the sound? Or does the receiving PLAYER have to first click something like:

"Yes, I Accept This Horrid Sound Clip Thing That My GM is Sending Me!"

"No. Do not download this. I don't want to hear it."

The way GRIP works is like this. Which I actually do not like as a GM. Many times I send the players a sound clip (e.g. the sound of an Explosion), and then a small dialogue window pops up on their client, asking them if they wish to download/play the incoming sound or not. Half the time, they are too busy with other aspects of the virtual tabletop, that they FORGET to accept the sound clip in time. By the time they do click "Accept", the sound clip is no longer relevant to the scenario or the situation.

thanks for the response

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:04 pm

The clip will play automatically in the player client as soon as it finishes transfering, with no permission dialogue.

It is assumed that the player trusts the GM not to send a virus ;-)

heruca also plans to add other useful features eventually, such as streaming media and even a built-in soundmixer.

SolSec
Soldier

Post by SolSec » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:10 am

Omnidon wrote:The clip will play automatically in the player client as soon as it finishes transfering, with no permission dialogue.

It is assumed that the player trusts the GM not to send a virus ;-)
Very clear now. Thank you.

SolSec
Soldier

Post by SolSec » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:00 am

heruca wrote:That's pretty much how it works, except that MP3 is not a supported format yet (just WAV and AIFF for now).
Any estimate on when MP3 format will be supported for BG? Is this something low on the priority list? Or perhaps a few patches away?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:33 pm

I often bump things up in priority when users voice interest in a particular feature, like you just did. I will try to get MP3 support added sometime in the next few versions. Probably at the same time I add better Flash support.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm

Mahhand and I just did some testing in 1.07a
Were you toying with MP3 support?

He was able to send me several small MP3s and they played fine.

He tried try a 500 KB one, which failed to load, so that one was probably >2mb when uncompressed.

Since he was able to attach an MP3 to a unit though, he might be able to send that one using the new Export Assets feature.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Hmm, I don't recall working on MP3 support, but it's possible I did and just forgot to mention it in the ReadMe.

You guys should try attaching a huge MP3 file to a unit (something over 2MBs), then using the export/import bundle features to give a remote player access to a long soundtrack without requiring in-game transfers.

Edit: Doh! You beat me to it in your edit. :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Mahhand says he thinks he has already succeeded in sending MP3s greater than 2 MB using the Export function :D

Of course, it makes the cast file pretty big since the MP3s get decompressed, but it saves the trouble of converting them to wavs

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:51 pm

i believe when i try to export an encounter with a larger mp3 file, i am getting script errors and fails to export. strange cause i thought i did this last night but now i cant dupe it. I am purging the map and assests before i retry it each time, and a relaunch of bg. was able to export encounter with mp3s that where small. but soon as i hit 500k or so, export fails.

just fyi.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:07 pm

Try this and see if it makes a difference:

After importing the MP3, use the Purge Panel. Even if you don't actually purge any assets, it will save and re-compress your "User Cast.cxt" file.

Then try exporting and see if you have better results.