Goodies Suggestion

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Farland
High Commander

Goodies Suggestion

Post by Farland » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:33 am

Hey, here's an idea based on the FUM freebies:

Maybe when someone purchases a license, they could get a free pack of top-down figures or tokens, their choice. Maybe a DM could get 10 and a player could get 5 or something. Perhaps FUM could help you with this.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Well, let's recap all the freebies already available, since some folks might not be aware of them:

You already get a pack of FUM tokens for free just for downloading Battlegrounds.

You can get 15 free tokens for visiting the FUM forums.

FUM also has a freebie mailing list, where you get free stuff just for signing up on the list.

You get access to free artpacks and maps when you register on these forums, in addition to all the free (non-FUM) tokens included with BRPG, which are yours to keep just for trying out the app.

Attendees of iCon (http://www.iconvention.org) will receive a free set of top-down tokens (rendered in Poser by Alynnalyzza; compiled, colorized, and retouched by me), and probably discounts on commercial FUM token packs.

There are many free tokens available on the DJ forums, including some recent additions (a beholder and mind flayers) by Devinnight, the artist who makes the FUM token packs.

IMO, FUM has already been very good at providing free tokens (which hopefully will whet people's appetite for more). So I'd feel kind of weird asking them for more freebies.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Farland
High Commander

Post by Farland » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:24 pm

I agree that there are tons of great free stuff available from FUM and other places. I was just tossing around ideas that would make purchasing BRPG more attractive for some people. This was pursuant to a discussion on the DM Genie message boards were I was recommending BRPG and someone else was recommending another virtual table top ap because it was free.
The World of Farland: www.farlandworld.com

The best PbP site on the net: www.myth-weavers.com

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:31 pm

Ah, in that case, just point them over here. :lol:

What you can get for free:

What you can get commercially:

:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:42 pm

Coincidentally, snikle (from FUM) just posted a new freebie map today:
http://www.fouruglymonsters.com/communi ... 170&page=3

Duvik
Cannon Fodder

Post by Duvik » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:29 am

Greetings to all. I hate to register to a forum that I'll probably not be posting in often but I felt that a glaring inconsistency should be addressed. This is in regards to the image that is posted above of OpenRPG. I feel that it is a very unfair representation of the program's capabilities... especially seeing as you used a screenshot of the program that is over four years old. I noticed the same issue in your flash banner a while back but ignored that. Sadly, I fear you are using false and misleading advertising to espouse your product and therefore offer this image of the latest version of OpenRPG in defense of the 'little guys'

Image[/url]

MINI
Cannon Fodder

Post by MINI » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:46 am

I agree with Duvik's response. I would also thank the original poster for making me marginally famous here. I imagine whoever used the 2nd freebie program got that map off my site, the map of the clearing with the trees. I made that map (one of my first ones) as part of a set to be put together making a larger outdoors map in tile fashion on OpenRPG. So that was kind of cool to see.

You really are under rating OpenRPG and I would never pay to use software when so much good free stuff is out there.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:59 am

Sorry, guys, but it was not my intention to misrepresent anything. I used the image posted by the developer/s to promote OpenRPG. If you go to http://www.openrpg.com/ and click on "Features" at the top of the page, that's the pic they used. It was the only one I saw available. I simply hotlinked to it in this thread.

The same thing applies to the ScreenMonkey screenshot. It's one of the ones on NBOS's ScreenMonkey screenshots page (http://www.nbos.com/products/screenmonk ... nshots.htm).

And I certainly wasn't making any mention of OpenRPG+, which, as I understand it, is now it's own program.

So if anything, it is the developers behind these programs who must be misrepresenting their own programs, not me. I'm sure much prettier maps and less-cluttered screens are possible with those apps. Beats me why they don't try to depict their programs in a nicer fashion.

The OpenRPG+ pic that Duvik posted looks nice, btw.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:04 am

BTW, if you can confirm for me that OpenRPG+ is a completely separate program from OpenRPG, I'd like to add it to my list of virtual tabletop software (http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/links.html#anchor6).

Duvik
Cannon Fodder

Post by Duvik » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:13 am

openRPG+ is a completely separate program now, the devs for the original have split off and were working to make it in Java but, they have been inactive for a while and stated no intent of resuming activity in the near future.

Just for the record, I didn't post this to bash your program in any way. I totally respect your efforts in making a prgram like battlegrounds. i've heard good things about it and am glad that you are taking part in iCon as well. I just felt that the image of openRPG was inappropriate.

Even the last official version of OpenRPG ((not OpenRPG+)) could support the image i posted. I can understand your linking to what the devs had posted on their site though. Just makes sense.

Here's the link to the OpenRPG+ site so you don't have to worry about searching for it.

http://openrpg.digitalxero.net/wiki/ind ... ge=Welcome

DigitalXero will try to keep it backwards compatible with the original for as long as he deems it feasible to do so. He's already made a number of improvements and is continuing to work on it.

I've been using the program for a few years now and have not seen as much improvement in that time as I have over the last couple months. Anyway, thanks for response and glad you didn't take it the wrong way.

See ya at iCon.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:55 am

I believe it would have been unfair of me to post my own screenshots of those apps, since it could then be argued that I purposefully made the results look worse than what the programs can really achieve. I figured that using the developer's own screenshots was the safest thing to do. That's also what I did on that old web banner ad that you mentioned, for the same reason.

As for the Battlegrounds screenshot, the funny thing is, except for the figure bases and the blue halo, everything shown in the pic is freely downloadable content which could be plugged into just about any VT program that accepts JPGs and PNGs. Those graphics are pretty, but that wasn't the point. The point was that the program attempts to keep the interface as invisible and unobtrusive as possible in order to let the mapboard be the center of attention.

I just added the OpenRPG+ link to my Links page, btw. I would have added it long ago, but I only recently heard of OpenRPG+ (thanks to iCon). If you are aware of any other VT programs that are not on my list, please let me know.

See you at iCon.

Duvik
Cannon Fodder

Post by Duvik » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Cool deal on adding the link. I've always respected the fact that you also include a link to every other competing product, free or otherwise on your page as well. I keep an eye out on all the major gaming tables sites periodically and your list is a good place to base out from.

I might as well give ya a link to another site that offer a lot of free maps and minis as well seeing as the fellow above was looking for some.

www.thetangledweb.net offers a lot of boons to folk who use virtual gaming tables. We've got maps, minis, campaign forums, a campaign wiki, and a profiler for char sheets available.

We don't charge anyone to take advantage of all these options and mainly cater to users of the two top free programs out there, OpenRPG+ and MapTools. I'm not sure if it'd be a site you wish to link to or not but, feel free to.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Thanks for the info on The Tangled Web. I just added it to the Links & Resources forum.
http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/phpBB ... .php?t=952

Duvik
Cannon Fodder

Post by Duvik » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:38 pm

much appreciated... I also noticed that you linked to the Chess Set that's available there back in October. Glad to see someone took an interest in it :D

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:45 pm

Yeah, I just thought it was a good thing to point out that VT software doesn't need to be JUST for RPGs. Many simple boardgames are also playable with them.

I'm actually doing my own chess piece set based on top-down photos I took of the various chess pieces, but that little project is on the back burner for now.